Applications now being accepted for Upward Bound
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is an educational service funded by the United States Department of Education. The program targets high school students who want to go to college, but may lack certain skills, support, resources or motivation required to succeed. Most participants come from families in which neither parent has a four-year college degree.
SIU Upward Bound serves approximately 90 students in eight area high schools: Buckhannon-Upshur, Doddridge County, Liberty, Lincoln, Ritchie County, Robert C. Byrd,South Harrison, and Webster County. We offer services to students during the academic year, as well as a six week summer residential program. The Program is free of charge to qualified students.
What are the Student Benefits?
It PAYS to be in Upward Bound. Literally! Not only is Upward Bound FREE to prospective students, we PAY students for participation and maintaining good grades! We provide academic support to students throughout high school while helping them get to (and pay for) college. Upward Bound provides students with countless opportunities to make new friends, see new places, and experience new things!
What are the Student Responsibilities for Upward Bound?
How does it work? Here is a idea of what occurs when you are part of Upward Bound.
- Take an active part in this program, which presents a unique opportunity for personal growth and requires a major commitment of time and energy from the student.
- Complete all necessary forms, take required tests, and keep Upward Bound informed of goals and progress.
- Attend the Summer residential program.
- Attend in-school meetings and monthly Saturday Sessions.
- Receive counseling and tutoring in certain classes as required.
- Obey Upward Bound rules and regulations.
- Demonstrate progress toward attending a post-secondary degree program
During Academic Year
During the Summer
- Monthly After –School Meetings
- Monthly Sessions at Salem University
- Career Counseling
- Help with homework
- College Visits
- Field Trips
If you are considering joining Upward Bound, please feel free to contact us for more information:
- 6 week program
- College preparation courses
- Experience life on a college campus
- College student mentors
- Enrichment activities
- Field Trips
Upward Bound - Salem International University
223 W. Main Street
Salem, WV 26426
877-391-0029 (Toll Free)
D.C.H.S. (In-school contact)
Mrs. Mona Mayle
304-873-2521, ex. 1111